The impressive Bastione Tognon of 1552, which still preserves the visible remains of St. Mark’s Lion partially destroyed by Napoleon, is the fifth bastion of the Venetian fortress.
A particularity of the last period of use of the bastion, by the Austrian Army, was the installation in a special building of the optical telegraph. This telegraph was important because it allowed communication between the fortress of Peschiera, with the fort of Pastrengo, and the centre of command in Verona.
This created a triangulation, necessary to bypass the hills which did not allow direct communication with Verona. In addition, the artillery system of Punta San Virgilio was also connected with Pastrengo, to block any possible naval incursions.